- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Remove 1/2 cup dough; stir in extract and food coloring. Wrap both portions of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll plain dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Roll peppermint dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place one star in the center of each round cutout; sprinkle with glitter.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Star-Bright Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Star-Bright Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review