Standish House Cranberry Relish
As a descendant of Myles Standish, I sponsored a dinner at my bed-and-breakfast a few years back to offer folks some holiday history and a taste of the foods offered at the first Thanksgiving. This relish was one of the menu items.—Standish House, Norman Standish, Lanark, Illinois
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup orange or apple juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan, combine juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is
- dissolved. Add cranberries and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer 3-4 minutes or until cranberries pop. Remove from the
- heat; stir in nuts. Chill for several hours. Yield: about 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 117 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.