- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 cups beef stock
- In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients; rub over roast. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Roast at 325° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, pour drippings and loosened browned bits from roasting pan into a small saucepan; skim fat. Add beef stock to drippings; bring to a boil. Serve with roast. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Standing Rib Roast
Sort By :
"Traditionally we have a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner and consider it part of a perfect meal with only a little garlic added to the au jus. So I did wonder about using the herb & spice rub. At the dinner table the first word was "wow" and "WOW" again from all. The cayenne pepper knocked the juice up a notch or two without making it too spicy. My husband says the cold left overs in a sandwich are wonderful too. I think this dish is the new family tradition.I would like to say something in addition about using these comment boxes to question the necessity of the recipe. That's not in the spirit of this TOH community forum. Don't knock it before you've tried it."
"This sounds great but I have read a dozen recipes for Rib Roast and got a dozen different temperature variations to cook it and they all say theirs is the best. Very confusing b/c it is an expensive piece of meat. I have a 10#, will figure it out."
"Looks fabulous...I was going to make this for Christmas family dinner.....till I saw the price of the piece of meat...Yikes..there are a lot of us..."
"I totally agree with Weems Grnadma -how could you improve on the taste of a standing rib roast!! Salt and I so add pepper but that's it --DELICIOUS"
"Very tasty and easy."