- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, oil and seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti.
Freeze option: Cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stamp-of-Approval Spaghetti Sauce
"Very good sauce. I cut the recipe in half and put it in a 3-quart slow cooker for about 6 hours. Came out great!"
"Sounds so good. If I were to change anything about it, I would add some sliced button mushrooms."
"This recipe is the best!!! My husband said to throw out all my other recipes. This one can't be beat!!!!!!"
"Canola oil is a GMO product. Use instead organic extra virgin olive oil."
"For my taste, I would make this w/out the sausage and all hamburger, To: shereeder: To CAN this I would eliminate the meat. Meat can be added as you make each meal. I have done this In the past w/another sauce recipe. Hope this helps."