Stamp-of-Approval Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, oil and seasonings.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup sauce (calculated without spaghetti) equals 298 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.