Stained Glass Heart Cutout Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup crushed clear red hard candy
- 1 cup vanilla frosting, optional
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Cut out centers with a 1-1/4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; set aside to reroll. Place cookies 1 in. apart on lightly greased foil-lined baking sheets. Fill centers with crushed candy.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until candy is melted and edges of cookies begin to brown. Cool completely on baking sheets. Carefully peel cookies off foil. If desired, combine frosting and food coloring; pipe around edges. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 151 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Stained Glass Heart Cutout Cookies
"I made these for Christmas using a snowflake cookie cutter. They were beautiful on the cookie tray."
"Can fruit roll-ups replace crushed red candy?"