- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup crushed clear red hard candy
- 1 cup vanilla frosting, optional
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Cut out centers with a 1-1/4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; set aside to reroll. Place cookies 1 in. apart on lightly greased foil-lined baking sheets. Fill centers with crushed candy.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until candy is melted and edges of cookies begin to brown. Cool completely on baking sheets. Carefully peel cookies off foil. If desired, combine frosting and food coloring; pipe around edges. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Stained Glass Cutouts in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p8
Reviews for Stained Glass Heart Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2010
Can fruit roll-ups replace crushed red candy?