Stained Glass Cookie Ornaments Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Assorted colors of Jolly Rancher hard candies
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Divide into three portions; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. ornament-shaped cookie cutters. Cut out centers with a 1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place larger cutouts 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Poke a small hole in the top of each cookie. Repeat with remaining dough; reroll small cutouts if desired.
- 3. Place the same color of hard candies in small resealable plastic bags; crush candies. Sprinkle in center of each. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes or until candies are set before carefully removing to wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat meringue powder and water until soft peaks form. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar. Decorate cookies with icing. Yield: about 7 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 86 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Stained Glass Cookie Ornaments
"can you eat these or are they just a decoration ?"
"Can fruit roll-ups replace hard candies? Other than that question, I would leave recipe alone."