Stacy's Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups dried black beans
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, broth, oregano, thyme, salt, cayenne and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan; heat though. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 210 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 686 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.