Stacked Vegetables and Ravioli Recipe
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese ravioli
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 10 fresh basil leaves, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Using a vegetable peeler, cut squash and zucchini into very thin lengthwise strips. In a Dutch oven, cook ravioli according to package directions, adding vegetable strips during last 3 minutes of cooking.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg and garlic salt; set aside. Drain ravioli and vegetables.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the ravioli and vegetables, half of ricotta mixture, seven basil leaves and 1 cup marinara sauce. Layer with remaining ravioli, vegetables and marinara sauce. Dollop remaining ricotta mixture over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Thinly slice remaining basil; sprinkle over top. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 323 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Stacked Vegetables and Ravioli
"I made this for a "girls night out" get together. I peeled my squash so thin it could have done less time boiling with the ravioli but....even with that it was a HUGE hit. Will make this again!! Got major thumbs up!"
"I followed directions for most part. I used two unpeeled yellow crock neck and one peeled green zucchiniI sautéed the Vegs w galic salt. Other than that I sprinkled mozzarella on top. Very good vegetarian dinner. I would add fresh spinach next time or gr turkey for the protein"
"We all enjoyed this a lot. Next time, I will chop up the basil leaves for the inner layer--finding a whole one in a bite was a little much!"
"Enjoyed this recipe. Very tasty and loved the zucchini and squash in it. I didn't have the shredded parmesan on hand, subtstituted part-skim mozzarella and turned out wonderful..Excellent!"
"I loved everything about this recipe. I made a half recipe as I cooked it for myself. It was easy to assemble and tasted delicious. Now I'm wishing I had made the full recipe!"
"I have made this a couple times now and my family really likes it. It is like a veggie lasagna, but with ravioli instead of lasagna noodles. It was easy to assemble and made great leftovers. The only thing I changed the second time around was how much squash I used. The recipe calls for too much for our tastes so I only used one of each the second time around."
"We enjoyed this very much and it was a change from many pasta dishes, plus the vegetables. Add a salad and you have a great dinner."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.