Stacked Enchilada Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and shredded lettuce, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute pepper in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in the chicken, beans and onions; heat through. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine enchilada and picante sauces. Coat both sides of one tortilla with sauce mixture; place in a greased 9-in. pie plate. Top with a third of the chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tortilla, sauce and cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until heated through. Remove to a serving plate and cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream and lettuce if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 wedge (calculated without sour cream and: 318 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein
Reviews for Stacked Enchilada
"Very good!! My fianc? really liked it, even though he's not a Mexican fan. I added some leftover corn from the cob with the green pepper. I also used up the tortillas, and moistened it with a little more sauce. It's definitely a make again recipe."
"Very good!! Easy recipe to make with ingredients I had on hand. Would definitely make again."
"Very good! I added a can of shoepeg corn and would definitely make it again."
"Dry and nothing special. Would rather make enchiladas."
"Very good! Quick & easy."
"Made this last night for when my son and his girlfriend came over for dinner. It was a hit with everyone. Great flavor. I left it in the pie pan to serve and used a pizza cutter to cut into wedges to serve."
"This is the best recipe. I/We love mexican food and this is the bomb. Will make this many times. Thank you for sharing."
"This was a delicious treat! My husband gave me a huge hug after this dinner. lol I shredded the chicken with a fork after I grilled it in a frying pan with a bit of oil, chili powder, salt and pepper."
"We really liked this. Had to cut the sodium way down so I used canned black beans with no salt added, I have a salsa I get through the Heart Healthy Market that has no salt which I used instead of picante sauce (natural foods shelves of the grocery have some salsas that are really low but not "sodium-free"). I used chopped fresh tomatoes and green chiles instead of enchilada sauce. Cut about 2/3 of the salt out. I did use a layer of fresh spinach...just because I wanted to sneak it in. Oh I also doubled the recipe because I noticed someone else used a bigger pan. These reviews have helpful ideas!"
"I would add rice to the layers"
"I doubled and made in an 11x7 pan. Yummy."
"So easy and fresh! My whole family loves this. It tends to tower out of my pie plate, though, so I usually make it in a larger casserole dish."
"Great weeknight recipe. Not the best ever but delicious."
"Very very yummy!! So easy to make and everyone will love it. I've already made it twice in the last two weeks. I only wish that it served more than 4."
"We substituted turkey cubes for the chicken, used green enchilada sauce, and added diced green chiles, corn and sliced olives. Everyone LOVED it!!! Awesome recipe!!!"
"Super easy to make! Delicious! Best enchiladas I have ever made! Great flavor!"
"So easy and delicious! I had some uncooked chicken breasts so I just cubed them and cooked them in the skillet, then proceeded with the recipe (omitting the green peppers because we don't like them). I also used peach/pineapple salsa instead of picante sauce and my whole family loved it! I will definitely be making this again, but I will be looking for a healthier enchilada sauce though, since the one my husband got had msg in it."
"I substituted homemade salsa for the picante. I could not find corn tortillas, so I used flour tortillas. I also used leftover beef from the contest winning French Dip Recipe instead of chicken. Delicious!"
"Delicious, easy, and fun recipe!! I used red pepper rather than green, and peach mango salsa rather than picante sauce which gave the dish a light sweetness."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.