Stacey's Famous BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Set aside 1/2 cup sauce for basting; cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for later use.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken skin side down over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings plus 3 cups leftover sauce.
1 chicken leg quarter: 340 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (16g sugars, trace fiber), 30g protein
Reviews for Stacey's Famous BBQ Chicken
"This is the best ever BBQ Sauce--I misplaced it and I was so glad when I found it again-- No store bought sauce evens come close"
"I opted out of the Serrano pepper because my kids aren't spicy food fans and we really liked it a lot!"
"I have made this twice (both times with boneless-skinless chicken breasts b/c my husband has something against bones) and it's great. The sauce has just the right amount of twang!"
"We live between Atlanta and Macon, real open-air pit BBQ places that have been around for 100 years are known to the locals. I always try to duplicate the sauce at home, but never come close-ever, until last night when I made this recipe. I always tell my family that it is a new recipe and that they can be honest so I know to make it again or throw away the recipe...and it was a 5 star all the way around!!!"
"This was tasty for homemade bbq sauce."
"The sauce is amazing and keeps for future use!! My family loved it!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.