- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Set aside 1/2 cup sauce for basting; cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for later use.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken skin side down over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings plus 3 cups leftover sauce.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Stacey's Famous BBQ Chicken
Sort By :
I opted out of the Serrano pepper because my kids aren't spicy food fans and we really liked it a lot!
I have made this twice (both times with boneless-skinless chicken breasts b/c my husband has something against bones) and it's great. The sauce has just the right amount of twang!
We live between Atlanta and Macon, real open-air pit BBQ places that have been around for 100 years are known to the locals. I always try to duplicate the sauce at home, but never come close-ever, until last night when I made this recipe. I always tell my family that it is a new recipe and that they can be honest so I know to make it again or throw away the recipe...and it was a 5 star all the way around!!!
This was tasty for homemade bbq sauce.
The sauce is amazing and keeps for future use!! My family loved it!