- on the back side of the board. Cover the wrapped board with clear
- cellophane in the same way.
- Pot of gold: Referring to the photo above for position, score a
- 1/2-in.-wide strip over the top half of the orange to make the
- handle. Score the peel from the base of the handle on one side to
- the base on the opposite side. Cut along the scored lines with a
- paring knife and remove the peel. Repeat on the other side of the
- Using a paring or grapefruit knife and spoon, scoop out the pulp from
- under the handle and inside the orange. Discard pulp.
- Use a peel stripper to cut six to eight strips about 1 in. apart form
- the top to the bottom of the pot, leaving the peel attached to the
- bottom. Roll up peel into loops and tuck them under the pot.
- Rainbow: Cut the cake into 1-in. cubes. Arrange two rows of cubes on
- the covered board to form a 15-in.-long arch, making the right side
- 2 in. shorter than the left side.
- In a small bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, orange juice, orange
- peel and 2 drops of food coloring. Fold in the whipped cream. Remove
- 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture and stir in 6 drops of food
- coloring. Spoon the mixture into the orange to create the pot of
- gold. If desired, arrange mint leaves on the covered board at short
- end of rainbow. Place the pot on top of leaves.
- Spread the cake cubes with remaining cream cheese mixture. Referring
- to the photo for position, arrange the fruit in rows over the cake
- to form the rainbow's stripes. If desired, scatter gold foil-wrapped
- chocolate coins on the board around the rainbow and pot of gold.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Crafter thoughts: Red raspberries, blueberries, green grapes, oranges and strawberries form the strips on the rainbow shown here. If you like, try other fruit such as red grapes, pineapple chunks, kiwi, etc. Anytime you're enjoying fresh fruit, whip up this quick cream cheese dip all by itself as a tasty complement.
Finished size: Cake is 15 inches long.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.