Mashed acorn squash provides the moistness in these soft golden waffles from Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "They are a good way to sneak veggies into to your family's meals without them noticing. Our kids love them, so I always make a double batch," she says.
Recommended: 25 New Ideas for Thanksgiving Leftovers
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. combine the eggs, milk, squash and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup. Yield: 10 waffles.
Originally published as Squash Waffles in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p45
Reviews for Squash Waffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2013
"Made with summer squash. It had a great flavor. Will definitely make again"