Mashed acorn squash provides the moistness in these soft golden waffles from Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "They are a good way to sneak veggies into to your family's meals without them noticing. Our kids love them, so I always make a double batch," she says.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. combine the eggs, milk, squash and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup. Yield: 10 waffles.
Originally published as Squash Waffles in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p45
Reviews for Squash Waffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2013
"Made with summer squash. It had a great flavor. Will definitely make again"