Squash Stuffing Casserole Recipe
The recipe for this zippy side dish was given to me by my husband's grandmother. Convenient corn bread stuffing mix and a can of green chilies give fast flavor to sliced summer squash. Since I cook for just my husband and me, I often freeze the leftovers for another day. -Tara Kay Cottingham, Munday, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add squash and onion. Reduce heat; cover and cook until squash is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, stuffing and the contents of seasoning packet, chilies, salt and pepper. Fold in squash mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 199 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 709 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC