Meet the Cook: Even people who don't like zucchini comment on how flavorful this is! If you want, you can also bake the stuffing by itself and serve it as a side dish. -Bernadette Romano, Shaftsbury, Vermont
Recommended: Baking with Squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 slices white bread, torn into coarse crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onion, parsley and basil until the onion is tender. Add zucchini and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in bread crumbs, egg, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken on one side to form a pocket. Stuff each breast with the zucchini mixture. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is done. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Squash-Stuffed Chicken in Country Woman July/August 1992, p29
Reviews for Squash-Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2012
"This was excellent!! And fairly simple. I didn't have Swiss cheese si used mozzarella and it turned out great!"
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2010