My husband and our four children enjoy my baking creations, including apples filled with squash and festive spices. They make a healthy and delicious accompaniment to a holiday meal. —Carolyn Buschkamp, Emmetsburg, Iowa
- 8 medium tart apples
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°. Core apples, leaving bottoms intact; peel top third of each. Remove centers of apples, leaving 1/2-in. shells; chop removed apple and set aside.
- Place cored apples in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, orange juice and water; pour over apples. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with juice mixture.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped apple; cook and stir until tender. Stir in squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in salt, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and remaining brown sugar. Spoon into baked apples; sprinkle with remaining nutmeg.
- Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until heated through, basting occasionally. Drizzle with pan juices before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Squash-Stuffed Baked Apples in Country Woman October/November 2008, p36
Reviews for Squash-Stuffed Baked Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2012
"I loved these!"
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2009
"it was so easy and a perfect autumn cozy dessert"
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2009
"What a great idea for useing some of the abundant fall harvest."