Squash Rings with Green Beans Recipe
I wanted to make a colorful vegetable for Christmas dinner one year and came up with this combination. It was a big hit with our guests. Even my nephew, who attended culinary school, was impressed! -Joan Sieck, Rensselaer, New York
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 2 pounds each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Cut squash into 1 in. slices; discard seeds and ends. Arrange slices in a single layer in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Brush over the squash. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until tender, basting frequently.
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Add basil, rosemary and remaining butter, salt and pepper. Spoon into squash rings. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Squash Rings with Green Beans in Reminisce September/October 2001, p48
Reviews for Squash Rings with Green Beans(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review