I wanted to make a colorful vegetable for Christmas dinner one year and came up with this combination. It was a big hit with our guests. Even my nephew, who attended culinary school, was impressed! -Joan Sieck, Rensselaer, New York
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 2 pounds each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Cut squash into 1 in. slices; discard seeds and ends. Arrange slices in a single layer in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Brush over the squash. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until tender, basting frequently.
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Add basil, rosemary and remaining butter, salt and pepper. Spoon into squash rings. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Squash Rings with Green Beans in Reminisce September/October 2001, p48
Reviews for Squash Rings with Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2013
"A big hit at my dinner party"