Squash Pan Rolls Recipe
These lovely rolls have been a part of my family's holiday dinners for more than 40 years. I'm passing on the tradition by including my grandkids on the preparation.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:15 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm mashed cooked butternut squash (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the squash, milk powder, oil, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water and sugar; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Roll to 1-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20 -25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Brush with butter. Yield: 15 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 244 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC