Squash Medley Recipe
I finally got my family to like squash after I came across this unique recipe. I serve this delicious dish often, especially when squash abounds in our garden. —Dolores Wolff Rosenberg, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 medium summer squash, halved sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups diced seeded and peeled fresh tomatoes
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan. Add squash and zucchini. Bring to a boil; cook for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the squash, brown sugar and seasonings. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 317 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC