Squash Fajitas with Goat Cheese
When we visit New Mexico, we always try new and exciting cuisine. The last time we were there, I tried a couple of traditional foods with new twists, like pumpkin tamales and goat cheese enchiladas. With an abundance of squash and onions coming out of the garden, I wanted to create a new and healthy fajita. This is a great meatless dish. —Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute squash and onion in oil until tender. Add
- garlic, pepper and salt; cook 1 minute longer.
- Spoon onto tortillas. Top with cheese and sprinkle with parsley. Fold
- in sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 fajitas equals 476 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 919 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot