Squash Custard Pie Recipe
Acorn squash has been a favorite of mine since I was little and my mother baked it with sugar and cinnamon. This particular pie was something I improvised. We love pumpkin pie, but had fresh squash in excess. So I came up with this new variation! It's good to take to potlucks, to pie or cake walks at school, or to serve as a different dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas. —Mary Kelly, Hopland, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked winter squash
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped cream or topping or garnish
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.
- 2. Pour into the pastry shell; bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 45 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Chill. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 361 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC