Our 1-year-old son can be a fussy eater, and my husband is mostly a "meat and taters" man. But both my guys love this cheesy squash bake! Often, I make a double batch of it and take one to the 4-H nutrition class I teach. It's a "hit" there, too. If you're a pressed-for-time cook like I am, this squash casserole will streamline your menu planning.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups chopped yellow summer squash or zucchini
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil and biscuit mix. Stir in the chili peppers, onion, garlic and half the cheese. Stir in squash.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes; sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Squash Casserole Side Dish in Country Woman March/April 1990, p33
Reviews for Squash Casserole Side Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2012
"My family loves this. Have used combinations of squash. Also, substituted asparagus for the squash and we like that, too."
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2009
"I followed the directions to the tee. My squash and onion were not cooked and soft. I was very disappointed."