Squash Braid Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine squash, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt; mix well. Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each third into a 18-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Braid ropes together; pinch ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Squash Braid
Sort By :
"It is easy to make. The texture is lovely. The flavor is okay. However, it is not super spectacular in the way of homemade bread."
"My sister gave me a very large butternut squash, and this is one of the new recipes I tried. I love baking bread, and this one is definitely a keeper: light, fluffy, and absolutely delicious!"
"I had yellow squash on hand so I made with that squash.The taste is great but for that squah i needed to add more flour ,I will make it ahanyellow squash"
"This was very good bread. I especially enjoyed it warm with butter. It is really quite a pretty bread with it's bright yellow color. It does tend to dry out after a day..."
"I made the dough in my bread machine and it came out so tender and delicious! Even people who don't like squash liked it."