- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- Salad croutons and grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, apple and onion in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the garlic, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup broth and the vegetable mixture; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; add squash and remaining broth. Heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Squash Apple Soup
"A delicious soup! We had some pur?ed cooked fresh squash that I used in place of one of the boxes of frozen but otherwise I made this exactly by the recipe. Mr. Picky ( hubby ) had already added a little brown sugar to the pur?ed fresh squash which gave the soup a touch of extra sweetness. We will be making a triple batch of this for a soup and salad luncheon for a senior group later this month. It should stand out as something different from the other soups there."
"A warm comforting soup for a chilly day. It is a favorite!"
"Excellent recipe. Party of Six; everyone loved it! Even my husband, who does not care for soup said he would eat this again."
"I've made this recipe several times this fall, it is awesome!! I do add 1 or 2 tsp. of ginger for extra zing, love it!!"
"This is recipe that requires you to "think out of the box" as my Aunt says. It really grows on your taste buds as you eat it! Very tasty the second time!"