Squash Apple Soup Recipe
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- Salad croutons and grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, apple and onion in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the garlic, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a blender, combine 1 cup broth and the vegetable mixture; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; add squash and remaining broth. Heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without croutons and cheese) equals 97 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.