Squash-Apple Bake Recipe
This is my mother-in-law's recipe, but I've made it so often I feel as though it's my own! Squash and apples are representative of New England in the fall, and taste even better when baked together. It's a wonderful Thanksgiving dish. —Judith Hawes, Chelmsford, Massachusetts
- 1 medium buttercup or butternut squash (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- Arrange squash in a 2-qt. baking dish. Top with apple wedges. Combine the remaining ingredients; spoon over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Squash-Apple Bake in Country October/November 1990, p51
Reviews for Squash-Apple Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2012
What variety of apple would pair best with the squash in this recipe? This sounds like an excellent holiday menu idea.
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
Used as side dish for Christmas dinner, very good, none left, will make again