Squash and Veggie Couscous
This simple, yet tasty side dish is a snap to whip up, and it's perfect when the veggies are in season. Try it with chicken, fish or even pork. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove
- from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until broth
- is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the squash, carrot, green pepper
- and onion in butter until tender. Stir in seasonings. Fluff couscous
- with a fork; toss with vegetable mixture.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.