My German grandmother taught me to cook, and she used bacon drippings in almost every recipe, even cookies! I happened upon this concoction one summer Sunday afternoon when our neighbors gave us a bumper crop of vegetables from their garden. Naturally I stared with grandmother's favorite ingredient...bacon!
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add potato; cook and stir in the drippings for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the onion, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Return bacon to skillet; sprinkle with dill, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 1 minute longer or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Squash and Potatoes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p22
Reviews for Squash and Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review