Squash and Bean Saute Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, garlic and seasonings in oil until onion is tender. Add the beans, squash and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Add tomatoes and parsley; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 76 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.