Squash 'n' Chicken Stew Recipe
Our Test Kitchen created this satisfying stew that’s colorful, full-flavored and family-friendly. Chicken thighs are slowly simmered with stewed tomatoes, butternut squash, green peppers and onion for meal-in-one convenience.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with couscous if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 384 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 867 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC