Spumoni Slices Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 to 5 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied red cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 5 drops red food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide dough in three portions. Stir chocolate into one portion. Add pecans and green food coloring to the second portion. Add cherries, almond extract and red food coloring to the third.
- 2. Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place chocolate rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap. Top with the green and pink rectangles; press together lightly. Wrap with plastic and chill overnight.
- 3. Cut chilled dough in half lengthwise. Return one rectangle to the refrigerator. Cut remaining rectangle into 1/8-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough. Yield: about 7 dozen.
2 each: 101 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Spumoni Slices
"very pretty but lack flavor"
"I made these according to the directions and had trouble with them the entire process. I pushed through and hoped for the best. The flavor was very pale:("
"Make these every Christmas! I love the taste and softness of them; makes a large quantity; good to make if you give goodies to friends or neighbors."
"Last year I made the chocolate coconut neapolitans, thought I would try this one because the presentation is similar. Loved the spumoni slices way better! I did put the layers in a bread pan to chill overnight. I put plastic wrap in the bread pan and topped with each layer. These cookies have a very nice flavor and look beautiful on your Christmas platter."
"There wasn't any flavor (I thought). My sister-in-law, loved them. These looked better than they tasted."