Spumoni Slices Recipe
My sweet rectangles get their name from the old-fashioned tri-colored ice cream. Our whole family prefers them.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 to 5 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied red cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 5 drops red food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide dough in three portions. Stir chocolate into one portion. Add pecans and green food coloring to the second portion. Add cherries, almond extract and red food coloring to the third.
- 2. Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place chocolate rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap. Top with the green and pink rectangles; press together lightly. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- 3. Cut chilled dough in half lengthwise. Return one rectangle to the refrigerator. Cut remaining rectangle into 1/8-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough. Yield: about 7 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 101 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC