Spumoni Baked Alaska Recipe
For a refreshing end to a rich meal, try this freezer finale. Its cool layers and pretty color scheme are bound to garner oohs and aahs. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in hazelnuts.
- 2. Spread into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, line an 8-in. round bowl (1-1/2 qts.) with foil. In a small bowl, place 1 qt. ice cream; add pistachios, almond extract and food coloring if desired. Quickly spread ice cream over bottom and up sides of bowl, leaving center hollow; cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine cherries, cherry juice, rum and remaining ice cream. Pack ice cream into center; cover and freeze.
- 5. In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 6. Place brownie on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; top with inverted ice cream mold. Remove foil. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of brownie. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- 7. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate; serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 554 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Spumoni Baked Alaska
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC