Sprouts with Water Chestnuts
This tasty side dish has become a family favorite at Thanksgiving, as well as throughout the year. A creamy sauce and water chestnuts give the sprouts a nice lift. —Genelle Smith
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Place sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 9-11 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and
- pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in water chestnuts.
- Transfer brussels sprouts to a serving dish; serve with water
- chestnut mixture. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 86 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.