Sprouts with Sour Cream Recipe
I never really cared for brussels sprouts, but this wonderful recipe I received from a friend changed my mind. The slightly sweet sauce turns the tender veggies into a special change-of-pace side dish. —Mary Devlin Etobicoke, Ontario
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
- 3. Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 103 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC