Sprouts with Sour Cream
I never really cared for brussels sprouts, but this wonderful recipe I received from a friend changed my mind. The slightly sweet sauce turns the tender veggies into a special change-of-pace side dish. —Mary Devlin
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce
- heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
- Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle
- with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 103 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium,