I never really cared for brussels sprouts, but this wonderful recipe I received from a friend changed my mind. The slightly sweet sauce turns the tender veggies into a special change-of-pace side dish. —Mary Devlin Etobicoke, Ontario
Featured In: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
- Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sprouts with Sour Cream in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p33
Reviews for Sprouts with Sour Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 20, 2013
"I thought these were awesome!! LOVED the sauce! I could have eaten the whole bowl myself! YUMMY!!"
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2010
"I did not like these at all. The Lemony Brussels Sprouts (TOH) are much better."