- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute asparagus and onion in butter for 5-8 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Add the ham, cream, pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook over low heat for 1 minute. Drain pasta. Add to the asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Springtime Penne
"My husband really enjoyed this. Nice use for fresh asparagus, will definitely make again.,"
"It's only me I am cooking for and like the author are a nurse. It was fast and easy to prepare for dinner in order to avoid more caf? food. I used gluten free penne and it was delicious!"
"We had a lot of fun with this recipe. I brought all ingredients to prepare it at my sister's house. She had some fresh sliced mushrooms that needed using so we threw them in during the last half of the sautéing process. Then we decided to add some dry mustard since it always goes nicely with ham. Finally someone suggested making it cheesy so 3 slices of processed American cheese were added (because it melts so nicely). I must say it was quite a big hit. That being said, when I've made this recipe exactly as directed it was good, too. Agree about the need to add a little more cream."
"I doubled the recipe since my family came for dinner. It was delicious!!! Even the grandkids like it."
"Super easy to make and absolutely delicious! I made it exactly as is with no changes. A great way to use up leftover ham. All the flavors go together wonderfully!"