Springtime Luncheon Salad Recipe
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- CHICKEN SALAD:
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Orange peel strips and fresh thyme, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir in the orange sections, lemon juice, grated peel and remaining orange juice. Cool.
- 3. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a 9-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Chill until set.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine chicken and celery. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper; fold in whipped cream. Fold into chicken mixture.
- 5. Unmold gelatin onto a serving platter. Fill center with chicken salad. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with orange peel and thyme if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 786 calories, 50 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 249 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.