- In a saucepan, combine the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar; let stand
- for 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into
- the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and
- baking soda; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat
- eggs, buttermilk and extract; add to flour mixture and mix well.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Carefully spoon the fruit mixture on top. Spoon remaining batter
- over fruit mixture.
- For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 365 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.