I like the fresh fruit flavor in this coffee cake. The strawberries and rhubarb make a nice combination.
- 2 cups unsweetened fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan, combine the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and extract; add to flour mixture and mix well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Carefully spoon the fruit mixture on top. Spoon remaining batter over fruit mixture.
- For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Originally published as Springtime Coffee Cake in Country Extra May 1996, p49
Reviews for Springtime Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review