While working as a sorority house mother, Sharon Helmick of Colfax, Washington occasionally filled in for the cook. “The girls really liked low-fat dishes like this attractive medley,” Sharon notes.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and carrot in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the barley; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add asparagus. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as needed. Stir in marjoram and pepper; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Springtime Barley in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p23
Reviews for Springtime Barley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2014
"I did not care for this at all, very bland flavor."
Reviewed Mar. 4, 2009
"This was very tasty and easy to prepare. I did put a lid on it for the last 20 minutes and only stirred it a few times. I just couldn't see the asparagus cooking well with it uncovered."