Springtime Barley Recipe
While working as a sorority house mother, Sharon Helmick of Colfax, Washington occasionally filled in for the cook. “The girls really liked low-fat dishes like this attractive medley,” Sharon notes.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and carrot in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the barley; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add asparagus. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as needed. Stir in marjoram and pepper; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Springtime Barley in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p23
Reviews for Springtime Barley(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 4, 2009
This was very tasty and easy to prepare. I did put a lid on it for the last 20 minutes and only stirred it a few times. I just couldn't see the asparagus cooking well with it uncovered.