Springtime Asparagus Medley Recipe
Seasonal and tasty, this colorful side dish is delicious served warm or cold. I get lots of compliments on the zesty sauce.
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Add tomatoes; cover and keep warm.
- 2. In a blender, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, onion, salt and paprika; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Pour over asparagus mixture and toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with almonds and blue cheese if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 122 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC