Brown rice makes up the crust for this different but very healthy, nutritious and totally delicious main dish. And it tastes just as great reheated the next day. —Sandi Tuttle, Hayward, Wisconsin
- 7 egg whites, divided
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg white. Add rice; stir until blended. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Whisk in egg and remaining egg whites. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, asparagus, corn, mushrooms, carrot, onion, parsley, basil, salt and oregano. Pour into crust; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spring Vegetable Quiche in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p21
Reviews for Spring Vegetable Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review