Spring Rhubarb Torte Recipe
This torte signals springtime at Audrey Groe's Lake Mills, Iowa home. "Our 40-year-old rhubarb plants provide the filling, and they're always ready first thing in spring." she relates. "So it's a family tradition to bake it."Audrey Groe, Lake Mills, Iowa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks; add the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in rhubarb and cream; pour over crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over hot filling, sealing edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Spring Rhubarb Torte in Country Woman March/April 1996, p10
Reviews for Spring Rhubarb Torte(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review