Spring Pilaf with Salmon & Asparagus Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 12 ounces fully cooked salmon chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. Saute carrots and yellow pepper in butter in a large saucepan until crisp-tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- 2. Stir in the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in asparagus. Cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
- 3. Stir in the salmon, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon chives and lemon peel; heat through. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Yield: 4 servings.
2 cups equals 568 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 1,023 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.