“My mom gave me this recipe, and it has quickly become my favorite breakfast casserole. I love that it can be made the night before and popped in the oven for a special breakfast.” —Melody Holland, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups cubed day old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the asparagus, red pepper and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, 1 cup cheese and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spring Morning Casserole in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011, p37
Reviews for Spring Morning Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review