- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups cubed day old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the asparagus, red pepper and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, 1 cup cheese and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Spring Morning Casserole
"Made this at my daughter's and everyone loved it. She was out of honey, so I used maple syrup in stead. Yummy!"
"Delicious! And easy to make. I made it for Bible study brunch at church."
"Loved it! I doubled the asparagus (only used the tips) and the ham."
"I made recipe exactly as is for company visiting. It was wonderful. Loved that I could make a day ahead of time and just pop it in the oven the next morning."