This marvelous roast lets you forget about it while it’s cooking (but the aroma will remind you). We serve it with brown rice or mashed potatoes. —Donna Roberts, Manhattan, Kansas
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place onions and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix water, tomato paste, garlic, basil, marjoram and thyme; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until meat is tender (a thermometer should read at least 145°).
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with onion mixture; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spring Herb Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2015, p15
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spring Herb Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review