This marvelous roast lets you forget about it while it’s cooking (but the aroma will remind you). We serve it with brown rice or mashed potatoes. —Donna Roberts, Manhattan, Kansas
Recommended: 25 Fast Spring Veggie Sides
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place onions and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix water, tomato paste, garlic, basil, marjoram and thyme; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until meat is tender (a thermometer should read at least 145°).
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with onion mixture; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spring Herb Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2015, p15
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spring Herb Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review